Physical Education Department
"Intelligence and skill can only function at the peak of their capacity when the body is healthy and strong." John F. Kennedy
Four semesters of physical education are required to graduate at the senior high level. Three semesters of these courses should be selected fromphysical education activity classes and one semester of Healthy Choices. Health is required to be taken at the ninth grade level, as well as onesemester of Introduction to Fitness. The other two semesters may be taken any semester during tenth, eleventh, or twelfth grade.
The senior high physical education curriculum is designed to provide students with the opportunity to select coeducational activities that emphasi!ethe development of skill proficiency in lifetime sports and offers carryover value for adult life. This curriculum provides the student with situationsthat encourage and stress the development of desirable social attitudes along with both mental and physical fitness.
Students should note that PE uniforms are required for ALL PE classes. If you already have a NGHS uniform there is no need to purchase a new uniform. The fees must be paid prior to participation in the designated classes. There is a $75.00 fee for bowling and a $15.00 uniform fee if you do not have a uniform from last year.
Physical Education Content Standards
- Students have the skills necessary to perform a variety of physical activities.
- Students participate regularly in physical activity.
- Students use activity to establish and maintain health/physical fitness.
- Students demonstrate knowledge of the implications of and the benefits from involvement in physical activities.
- Students understand the importance of physical activity and its contributions to a healthy lifestyle.
Health Content Standards
- Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health promoting products and services.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks.
- Students will analyze the influence of culture, media, technology and other factors on health.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting and decision-making skills to enhance health.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health