Is It CRAP?
Currency: Is the information recent enough for your topic?
- When was this information published?
- Is there a copyright or last updated date?
- Does the website contain broken links?
Relevance: Does the information meet your information needs?
- Is it a primary or secondary source?
- Does all of the information apply to your topic or only some of it?
- Is the information general or detailed?
- Is the information balanced or biased?
- Can you find the same or better information in another source?
Authority: Who authored this information?
- Was it a single person or several people?
- Was it a corporation or organization?
- Are credentials provided?
- Can you figure out what makes this author an expert in this area?
- What is the author/publisher’s reputation or expertise?
Purpose: Why does this information exist?
- Who is the intended audience?
- Is the information intended to inform, persuade, sell, entertain, etc.?
- Is the resource affiliated with an organization that has a particular
- political or social agenda?
- Does the author/publisher stand to benefit from distribution of this