English Language Development (ELD)
ELD at Northglenn High School
English Language Development (ELD) courses are designed for the rapid mastery of the English language, focusing on reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. ELD courses usually begin with extensive listening and speaking practice, building on auditory and oral skills, and then move on to reading and writing.
These courses provide an explanation of basic structures of the English language, enabling students to progress from an elementary understanding of English words and verb tenses to a more comprehensive grasp of various formal and informal styles and then to advance to “regular” English courses. ELD classes may also include an orientation to the customs and culture of the diverse population in the United States.
English Language Development (ELD) Instruction at Northglenn is:
- Delivered by certified teachers who are trained in how students acquire an additional language.
- Carefully planned to meet the language needs of each student.
- Made understandable because teachers use special techniques such as hands-on activities, visuals, demonstrations, repetition, songs, graphic organizers, gestures, drama and much more.
- Taught in such a way that students can draw on what they have learned at home in their first language. ELD values students' families and languages.
- Instruction that allows students to show that they understand in a variety of ways.
- Given in a safe environment that values each student's unique background and language.
- Making connections to the content ELLs are learning throughout their day whenever possible.